Memphis Dump Truck Accident Lawyers
Dump trucks are commercial vehicles specifically designed to haul and deposit materials. The bed of a dump truck is an open box that can be tipped to release its load onto the ground. Dump trucks are placed in the largest classification of trucks that weigh over 33,001 pounds, so they significantly outweigh a typical passenger vehicle of around 4,000 pounds, and that makes an accident with a dump truck very dangerous. They carry heavy loads of exposed, loose material that can shift and cause weight imbalance. This material can also escape from the truck and strike other vehicles or cause hazardous road surfaces.
When your car collides with one of these massive vehicles, you will likely end up with serious injuries. If this has happened to you, Gold Law Firm is here to help you. We know how to take on trucking companies and their insurers to secure the compensation you deserve.
Please call us at (901) 244-5003 or complete our online contact form to get started with a free consultation with one of our Memphis dump truck accident lawyers. We’ll review your legal rights and options, and how we’ll pursue compensation on your behalf.
Why You Need a Gold Law Firm Dump Truck Accident Lawyer
Enduring an accident with a dump truck is a traumatic experience that may leave you with not only physical injury but psychological strain as well. You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries, expenses, and suffering, but you shouldn’t have to pursue this on your own. Gold Law Firm can defend your rights and hold all liable parties accountable.
Accidents involving the commercial trucking industry are unique because the trucks and their drivers are held to certain regulations and stricter traffic laws. Additionally, there are more parties that may be legally responsible for your injuries from a dump truck accident, such as the trucking companies, driver agencies, and truck manufacturers. You need an experienced dump truck accident attorney by your side to identify all the potential defendants, account for all of the damages you are eligible for, and fight for a complete recovery of what is owed to you.
Gold Law Firm makes all this legal service available to you without any upfront costs because we will not charge you any fees for legal service unless we obtain a settlement for your case.
Causes of Dump Truck Accidents
The sheer size and weight of a dump truck make them less maneuverable than regular vehicles and more challenging to drive, so those who share the road with them need to exercise caution and maintain extra space. Some of the common causes of dump truck accidents include:
- Speeding – Dump trucks require a longer stopping distance, so the faster it is moving, the more likely it is to hit another vehicle before it can come to a complete stop.
- Wide turns – Additional room is needed for a dump truck to make a turn. Drivers who are not skilled at turning can easily swing too wide into another lane.
- Blind spots – A dump truck’s side and rearview mirrors have blind spots that don’t allow a full view of the adjacent lanes. A driver can fail to spot another vehicle’s presence before changing lanes, turning, or backing up.
- Improper maintenance – If trucking companies do not provide appropriate routine maintenance for their dump trucks, vital safety features, such as tires, brakes, and steering systems, can fail.
- Distractions – A driver of a dump truck has the same distractions as any other motorist. These include eating or drinking, cell phone use, and adjusting vehicle controls.
- Fatigue – Driving a dump truck can mean early morning shifts or long work hours, and this can lead to the unsafe factor of fatigued driving.
- Adverse weather – Slippery or wet roads or blinding snow or rain downpours are challenging driving conditions, especially for a large, heavy vehicle like a dump truck.
Typical Injuries from Dump Truck Accidents
A standard passenger vehicle will undoubtedly take the brunt of the damage when it collides with a huge dump truck, so car drivers are at high risk of physical harm. Common injuries include:
- Bumps, bruises, cuts
- Bone fractures
- Minor and major burns
- Soft tissue injuries
- Internal injuries
- Spinal cord and back injuries
- Head, neck, and shoulder injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
Proving Liability and Getting Compensation for Dump Truck Accident Injuries
If you were injured from an accident with a dump truck that was not your fault, several parties may be held responsible. Generally, the truck driver and/or the trucking company that owns the truck is liable for accidents and injuries, and that is why they are required to retain insurance. Their insurance carrier should cover your medical expenses and other damages.
However, there is always the possibility that the insurance company will deny liability and blame you or another party for causing the accident. Even if they do accept liability, you can expect that whatever settlement they offer you is less than what you are entitled to. These situations are why you need an experienced Memphis dump truck accident lawyer to ensure you are represented fairly.
At Gold Law Firm, we’ll meticulously investigate the accident to determine the negligence of the dump truck company or the driver, and we’ll also consider all other possibilities. Some of the other potentially liable parties may include:
- Inspectors – If maintenance issues are the cause of the accident, the entity that is responsible for providing inspection and maintenance of the truck may be responsible.
- Other drivers – If there were multiple vehicles involved or the carelessness of one driver caused you to collide with a dump truck, another driver can be held responsible.
- Truck or parts manufacturers – If the accident was caused by the malfunction of the dump truck or a defective part, these companies can be at fault.
- Cargo companies – The company responsible for loading cargo onto the truck may be responsible if their employees overloaded or improperly loaded the cargo, either of which could lead to cargo falling out of the truck or an imbalance issue.
Gold Law Firm attorneys have the skill to identify who should be held liable for your accident, and they will take on the insurers of whoever is responsible to maximize the compensation you are owed for all damages you may have suffered, including:
- Medical bills
- Lost current and future wages
- Pain and suffering
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Permanent disfigurement or disability
Questions About Your Dump Truck Accident Case
Anyone who has been involved in a truck accident will have many questions about the steps involved in their case. If you set up an initial consultation with one of our Memphis dump truck accident attorneys, they will be able to provide all the information you need. Until then, here are answers to a few common questions you may be wondering about.
What exactly is negligence?
In personal injury law, negligence is a word that describes when an individual or entity fails to act in a way that a reasonable person would behave under similar circumstances. If a person or entity is careless or reckless, they may be held liable for any damages that result from their behavior.
Making an injury claim from a dump truck accident requires proving you were harmed by the negligence of an individual or other entity associated with the dump truck or another driver.
How long do I have to file an injury claim for a dump truck accident?
Each state imposes time limits that are called “statutes of limitations,” in which a personal injury claim can be filed. In Tennessee, this period is one year. You should start the process as soon as possible after your accident because if you miss the deadline, you forfeit your right to compensation. There are some exceptions to this, such as when an injury is not discovered until after the year has passed, so seeking legal counsel for any personal injury situation is your best option.
What sort of cost will there be when I hire a lawyer for my accident with a dump truck?
There will be no upfront cost to you because our firm works on a contingency-fee-basis. This means that you will not be charged anything until and unless we prevail, and you are awarded damages. Our fees come out of the compensation that is recovered and never out of your pocket. Our interests will be aligned with yours, and you can have peace of mind that your case is in the best possible hands.
What can I expect from an initial consultation with Gold Law Firm?
During the initial consultation, our attorneys will want to review your case in detail and discuss your legal rights and the various options you may have for proceeding with your case. We’ll review all the documents about your case, listen to you, and answer your questions. We will also discuss the timeline and the best course of action for your case. We will let you know if we’re able to take your case, and you can decide if you wish to hire us to represent you.
Call Gold Law Firm Today for Help with Your Dump Truck Accident Injuries
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident involving a dump truck, you shouldn’t be alone in your suffering, and you should learn about your legal rights. Gold Law Firm understands the impact an accident can have on your life. Our compassionate attorneys will handle your case with diligence and care, and we’ll fight tenaciously for the maximum compensation. Call us at (901) 244-5003 or use our confidential online contact form to start getting help today.